ELLE: Women in Music

Mirror in the sky.

We checked out this issue's Cover Girl, Gwen Stefani, last week. Let's check out the divas and rocker chicks on the inside, shall we?

Adele
Burberry London. Gunmetal, sterling silver, and pavé necklace, Eddie Borgo.


On the love songs written about her ex:
“We’re not on great enough terms for me to say, ‘Oh, have you heard my record? It’s number one; did you know?”


Love the eye makeup. We once wore matching chains with padlocks for the Black Party and then promptly agreed we'd never do such a thing again; wear padlocks around our necks or attend a circuit party. Of course, we got that particular set of jewelry in a hardware store, which may have something to do with why we vowed never to do it again. Ah, youth.

What were we talking about again?

Aretha Franklin
On wardrobe options for her tour: “I am going to rock this [size] 16. Sixteen probably sounds large to girls who wear 10s and 12s, but I love it, because it looks good on me.”


LUV. HUH. Love that she's all excited about wearing a size 16 and doesn't give a damn what you think of that.


Florence Welch
Silk bodysuit and silk monogram skirt, Louis Vuitton. Silk-trim cotton crepe bra and panty, Araks. Vintage earrings, House of Lavande. Bronze bracelet with mother-of-pearl, red jasper, and smoky quartz, Stephen Dweck.
On performing at the 2010 MTV Music Video Awards: “It was my intro to America. And they could have sent me packing if it hadn’t gone so well.”


Goddess.

Gwen Stefani
On writing hits: “I do! Why wouldn’t you want that many people listening to the songs that you wrote? There’s no way to go back after you have had it. So the intentions of even the solo records were always about trying to write those guilty-pleasure albums that just get in your head and you can’t get out. I’m not cool, I’m not into the B-sides. Prince, who is one of my idols, gave me some advice when I worked with him: “Have you ever just tried writing a hit? Like, don’t just try writing a song, try and write a hit song.” I remember him saying that and me thinking, Yeah, you’re right. Why would you write anything else?”


Oh dear. Are mesh tank tops coming back? We may need to lie down.

On Lady Antebellum’s songs: “There aren’t a ton of people in this country who will understand songs about riding a tractor through a pasture. But when it comes to falling in love and out of love and getting your heart broken, there’s no way you can’t understand what the song’s about.”

LOVE this look.


On performing in gay clubs when she was younger: “In high school I was like, ‘Well, these are drag queens lip-synching, and I can really sing; why can’t I go up there?’ I would win all the talent shows.”


This picture doesn't look like her at all. We're used to the weight loss by now, but the lighting and expression on her face make her look odd. Not a great pic of her.

Nicki Minaj
Knit minidress, Mark Fast. Elastane bodysuit, Maison Martin Margiela.
Suede wedge boots, Giuseppe Zanotti Design.

On being a rapper: “I always wanted to play with the boys. I didn’t want to be a pawn in their
game or have a sidekick role. I wanted to be more of a lead character – a superhero.”

That's the cutest and most normal she's ever looked.


Robyn
Baroque-motif dress, Prada.

On creating her latest album, Body Talk: “At first it was a way of having more fun. Then it started to influence how I communicated with my fans—how to bring new music into a live set throughout the whole year.”

Hey, you guys! A Prada dress that's NOT the monkey dress and NOT the striped one that everyone's been wearing! And while there are monkeys to be found on this dress, we're not that crazy about it. She's adorable, though.

Stevie Nicks
On her music: “What I always wanted was to affect people. Especially women in rock ‘n’ roll and what they could write about. We are a force of nature.”


Bow down, fuckers. We will hear not one bad word said about her. Or will we come to your house and loudly sing a medley of Rhiannon/Landslide/Stand Back/Edge of Seventeen at 3 in the morning.

Willow Smith
Clothes and shoes, custom-made for Smith.

On her full length album:
“It’s going to be a party beat. I think you’re gonna like it!”

Oh for fuck's sake.

[Photo Credit: elle.com]

Labels: ,

Post a Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive